Tuesday, April 22, 2008

45 Degrees below surrounded by this cold, knee-deep snow....I am here...day dreaming of that tropical weather now more than everhoping that the memories will melt my frozen tears.
I speak for myself when I say that I feel more at home in the Philippines, than I do here in Canada, but regardless of my sense of belonging, there is no denying the fact that my flesh and bone were born here in the West. I am a Canadian-Filipino, and as simple as it sounds, it took me 22 years to figure that out.
While I was in the Philippines I found myself researching alot about the history, the culture, the people,etc. I really wasn't all that interested in what the modern Filipino culture had to offer because well, much of it is all the same in North America anyway. Their television programs are a straight bite from American TV. (deal or no deal, survivor, so on and so forth) Huge influence indeed. Even the music was american influenced. Most of the bands I heard perform live did mostly cover songs, very few "original" music, which is sad to me because I am a music freak. I hope I don't get things twisted, because I dont hate America, but come on, I travelled across the Pacific Ocean to see the Philippines, not America.

No comments: